Friday, December 24, 2010

I'm dreaming of a "White Christmas"...

I hadn’t seen White Christmas before until last year, so to me I can’t say it’s a tradition or holiday related.  Technically it has nothing to do about Christmas; the last scene just takes place on Christmas.  Putting that aside, it is a wonderful feel-good movie.  Not the biggest fan of Bing Crosby, but he plays himself pretty well.  And for me in the long run I don’t associate the movie with its songs but more with its dance sequences.  It may be because I’m a dancer myself, but I do consider the dancing far more impressive to dance than the songs were to sing, with the exception of Rosemary Clooney’s song “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me”.  It’s so moody and alluring, and she looks fantastic in her black dress.  Vera-Ellen’s dancing is marvelous and her body is sick.  Well actually it was; she was battling anorexia.  That explains the protrusion of rib.  But the duet dance number between her and Danny Kaye is the highlight of the movie for me.  That, and you have to love the “Sisters” number; it’s extremely catchy.  Overall, it’s a wonderful movie but I just feel the title should be changed; “White Christmas” is misleading.  Either there should be more Christmas (too late for a redo on this classic movie), or the title should be changed to “War and Business” or “Sisters and Misters” or whatever.  But what would I know?

For more info on this movie, click on the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment