Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Venturas

So I watched Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (it being the first movie in my collection since it starts with the letter 'a', and 'a' is the beginning of the alphabet, just in case you didn't know that), and I decided to review it with its sequel Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, considering they're both the same dumb slap-shtick humor based on the same character.  Don't get me wrong, I love dumb slap-shtick humor; that's most of my collection.  I'm just stating a fact.
I noticed while watching these movies something that I feel is common amongst many others, which is this: once filmmakers have made a hit movie, they always tend to want to over-do it on its sequel, especially amongst comedies.  They focus on all the zaniness that made the comedy funny before, and then amplify it, cutting out most of what would be serious material.  I don't know how often that really works.  For example, in the first movie Ace Ventura is the wacky character living in a considerable normal world, whereas in the sequel even the most "normal" of  characters have eccentricities about them.  Of course, the creators could write that off as "oh he's in Africa, where everything is wild and crazy".  Hmm.  That can only go so far.  Also, the movie starts off with Ace climbing the Himalayas, and later on he somehow survives falling down a waterfall strapped to a raft.  And his character just in general became more insane.
So I don't think there's any real surprise that I much prefer the first movie (not that I don't appreciate the potty humor of the sequel; I like the potty humor in both).  I remember the first time I ever saw the movie, I was no more than 9-10 years old, so naturally I would find Jim Carrey's stupidity humorous, but I hadn't quite yet been exposed to situations and gain the knowledge to really comprehend certain parts of the movie, or to really follow the plot line.  I didn't get why he acted insane and wore a tutu at the asylum,  I couldn't comprehend why Ray Finkle's parents' home was in such disarray, and the thought of a sex change operation or anything related to it was beyond me, so the final confrontation with Lt. Einhorn didn't quite make sense (for a while I thought maybe the dick was sewn to the back of him/her; thank God for tucking).  In comparison, the sequel fell short in that the mystery to be solved wasn't as clever or difficult to follow, and definitely less adult humor.  I'm sure they wanted to appeal more to children.  Ace Ventura had a huge following.  It did even get its own cartoon show, though it didn't last long, and there was a third movie made (based on the character Ace Ventura Jr., and even though I've never seen it, I still encourage that no one should watch it).
I do know the sex/love scene with Courteney Cox was the first I had ever scene in a movie. Yes, can you believe Ms. "Cougar Town" Cox was actually in this movie, albeit her character was a serious one.  You have to think, how would anybody find such a loony character with that awkward hair and clothes attractive.  Being even older and watching it now, I must say Jim Carrey is rather cute.  "Say what!"  Yes, it's true, I do find him cute, in an Average Joe kind of way.  No stud, but he is funny, which is a weakness for me, and he lacks any negative features.  Judge me, but that's that.


For more info on these movies, follow the links below:
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109040/
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112281/

No comments:

Post a Comment